White water rafting is a fun and exciting activity for families to enjoy together. It allows everyone to work as a team to navigate the rapids and enjoy the natural beauty of the surrounding environment.
Rafting can also be a terrific way to bond and create lasting memories.
If you’re looking for the best white water rafting in Colorado for families, you’re in the right place!
Many people find that white water rafting helps them to feel a sense of accomplishment and achievement. It can be especially appealing to families who enjoy spending time together in nature and experiencing new and exhilarating environments.
Best White Water Rafting in Colorado for Families
White water rafting provides a thrilling opportunity for families to:
- Work together
- Challenge themselves
- Enjoy the natural beauty of the Rocky Mountains
- Create lifelong memories
What to Expect on Your White Water Rafting Trip
The specifics of your Colorado white water rafting family adventure will depend on the type of trip you sign up for. However, here are some general features to expect on a white water rafting trip with Colorado Adventure Center.
- What to wear – CAC provides each participant with a helmet, personal flotation device (PFD), and a wetsuit. Since the water in Clear Creek is usually around 40°F, wetsuits are strongly encouraged on the beginner trip and required for intermediate and advanced trips. Splash tops, booties, and gloves are also available if desired. Wear quick-drying synthetic clothing (not cotton) and bring a towel and change of clothes for after your trip.
- Safety briefing – All groups receive a safety briefing from experienced guides before the trip. It covers essential information like how to use the safety equipment, what to do in the event of capsizing, and how to communicate with the guide while on the water.
- Paddling instructions – The group will get thorough instructions on how to paddle the raft and work as a team under the direction of a highly-trained guide.
- Rafting the rapids – During the trip, you will navigate the rapids of Clear Creek in a modern, self-bailing raft under the direction of an expert guide. Between the rapids, you’ll get to enjoy the beauty of the Rocky Mountains while learning more about Colorado’s unique environment and history. Depending on which trip you’re on, Clear Creek’s rapids range from Class II (beginner-friendly) to Class V (expert rafters only).
- Finishing the trip – When you reach the end of your river journey, you’ll disembark from the raft and return to the CAC base camp.
Colorado’s Best White Water Rafting for Kids
Beginner white water rafting trips can be an excellent option for families with younger children (ages 7-13) or those who are new to rafting. Colorado Adventure Center’s beginner raft trip on Clear Creek features several Class II-III rapids with small to medium-sized waves and minor maneuvering.
This trip offers Colorado’s best white water rafting for kids. You’ll get great views of the historic mining town of Idaho Springs, the Argo Mine, and the Charlie Taylor waterwheel. And you might even spot some wildlife as you float!
Family Friendly White Water Rafting Colorado
Our intermediate raft trip offers a mix of mild and moderate rapids (Class III-IV). It provides a perfect balance of excitement and enjoyment for families with kids aged 14 and up. This trip brings enough of a challenge to be engaging and rewarding without being overly intense or intimidating.
The white water action starts right away after launching from CAC’s private put-in, and the fun continues non-stop as you navigate through Clear Creek’s “Nomad,” “Fall River,” “Deliverance,” and “Outer Limits” rapids. The intermediate raft trip is perfect for experienced white water paddlers and bold first-timers who are ready to jump in with both feet.
Advanced White Water Rafting Colorado
Colorado Adventure Center’s advanced rafting trips have technically challenging rapids and a fast pace. It’s a great way for families with older kids (16+) to bond and have fun together. As you run the steepest, most extreme section of Clear Creek, you’ll get to splash through exhilarating Class IV-V rapids like “Guide Ejector,” “Hell’s Corner,” “Double Knife,” and “Terminator.”
Advanced rafting trips can be an outstanding opportunity for experienced rafters to test and improve their skills and become even more confident and capable on the water. Participants must have prior rafting experience, the ability to swim, strong physical conditioning, and a love of challenge and extreme adventure.
Best Place to White Water Raft in Colorado
White water rafting trips can be a fun and exciting activity for families, offering elements of challenge, excitement, and natural beauty, as well as the opportunity to learn and improve rafting skills. There are plenty of reasons why Clear Creek is the best place to white water raft in Colorado, especially for adventure-loving families.
With varying levels of rapids to suit a wide range of ages and ability levels, there’s something for everyone. Clear Creek also provides stunning scenery with excellent views of alpine forests, rocky peaks, and plenty of opportunities to spot wildlife from the water. What’s more, Colorado Adventure Center’s base camp is conveniently located just 20 miles west of Denver and close to many other Colorado mountain resorts.
Fun for the Whole Family
White water rafting can be a fantastic way for families to bond and build lasting memories. It offers a unique and challenging outdoor adventure that requires teamwork and cooperation. The physical and mental challenges of rafting bring people closer together and result in a sense of teamwork and camaraderie.
The shared experience of navigating exciting rapids and working together to stay safe on the water creates powerful feelings of connection and shared accomplishment. What’s more, the stunning mountain views, the sounds of the water, and being immersed in nature all contribute to a sense of connection and appreciation for each other and the experience. The accomplishment and pride that comes from tackling challenges and working together as a team can strengthen family bonds and create meaningful memories that will last a lifetime.
We’re Ready to Ride the River With You!
With rafting trips for all skill levels, we definitely have some of the best white water rafting in Colorado for families. And if you want to combine that with a land-based activity, we also offer combo trips of our zip lining and aerial adventure park. We can’t wait to share an adventure together!